Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Caesar Salad Dressing & Homemade Garlicky Croutons

Caesar Salad with Homemade Garlicky CroutonsApparently this dressing brings all the boys to the yard. Haha. I just had to try it. It's a family recipe. My sister's soon to be mom in law's recipe. I'm glad she's one of those people who share all her recipes. Cuz this was yummy. Even Hubby likes it and the only Caesars he likes are the alcoholic kind. Definitely not the salad type. Which I adore.

The dressing is even better after it's been sitting in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. So it's perfect to make ahead. :)


Caesar Salad Dressing
(Makes 1/2 cup)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 + 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1/4 + 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. Combine mayonnaise and olive oil in a mason jar. Cap and shake well until smooth.
  2. Add remaining ingredients. Cap and shake until well blended. Add more salt and pepper if needed.


Homemade Garlicky Croutons
(Makes 2 cups)

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed
  • 2 Tbsp garlic salt
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Combine everything in a large bowl and toss until cubed bread is thoroughly coated.
  3. Spread in one layer on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly toasted. If using a toaster oven, just put tray in and start toasting on level 4 on the bottom rack.

I like to have everything bite sized, so I always cut my romaine lettuce into bite size pieces or as close to it as possible without it looking like small little dices. Add as much or as little dressing and croutons as you'd like. I don't particularly care whether there's Parmesan cheese or not in my salad so I don't bother. Bacon is always nice but I like my salad simple. Maybe I'll add an egg or grilled chicken or salmon or something for protein but that'll have to be next time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment