Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

Stir Fry Eggplant with Minced Meat

Stir Fry Eggplant with Minced Meat
So I love eggplant when it's stir fried or deep fried. I just love it. Hubby can't stand it so I almost never have it unless we're out at a restaurant. This is probably only the second time I've bought eggplant to cook at home. I'm so glad I did. This was so yummy.

I made it spicy just cuz I'm just in love with this garlic chili that I bought on a whim from the grocery store a while back. If I don't have any chilies at home, I just use this. It's crazy spicy and SO GOOD. Probably cuz we love garlic so much in our household...I dare say that it's better than Sriracha for stir fries and that sort of thing. Anything that requires a dipping sauce or something like that, Sriracha is still king. ;)

Honestly, you can turn this into a vegetarian dish if you don't add the meat. It doesn't really matter whether you do it or not. I just don't like making too many different dishes at night (read: lazy) so I add the meat to ensure I get some protein. :P


Stir Fry Eggplant with Minced Meat
(serves 2)

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium Chinese eggplant (about 8-10 inches in length), cut in half lengthwise and then 1/2 inch half moons or into 2 inch long strips
  • 1/4 lb lean ground pork
  • 3 Tbsps soy sauce, divided
  • 3 tsps canola oil, divided
  • 2 tsps cornstarch, divided
  • 1 tsp sugar, divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 inch knob of ginger, cut into slivers
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/4 tsp garlic chili
  • 1 green onion, finely diced

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, marinate the pork with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of canola oil, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar for about 15 minutes.
  2. Heat up remaining oil in a wok over medium high heat. Swirl it around so that all the sides are coated with a thin later of oil. Add marinated pork and cook until browned. Add in eggplant, garlic, ginger and cook until eggplant starts softening.
  3. Stir in oyster sauce, remaining sugar, remaining soy sauce and garlic chili. Toss until well coated.
  4. In a small bowl or cup, make a slurry out of the remaining cornstarch and water. Add to the wok and toss. Cover the wok and cook until eggplant is fully cooked.
  5. Turn off the heat and toss in green onions.
  6. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment