Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Haupia

Haupia on a plateI'm in love with a new dessert! I was introduced to this in Maui. It was awesome. I couldn't get enough of it when I first tried it at Aloha Mixed Plate. Now that I'm home, I had to try to make one. So I made some adapting from this recipe. Yum! It was super creamy but not as coconuty as the one I had at the restaurant. Maybe if I use coconut extract instead of the rum. But then, I'd have to go get some coconut extract and what else would I use it on??? :\

Careful when you heat everything though. Once it starts thickening, it'll thicken super fast even after you turn off the heat. So keep an eye on it!


Haupia
(serves 8)

Ingredients:
  • 1 400ml (13.5oz) can of coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp coconut rum
  • Toasted shredded coconut (optional)

Directions:
    Haupia about to be chilled
  1. Dissolve cornstarch in coconut milk in a medium pot. Stir in remaining ingredients.
  2. Heat everything on low heat until mixture has thickened, stirring constantly.
  3. When thicken, pour mixture into a loaf pan.
  4. Cover and chill for overnight or until firm.
  5. Cut into 1x2 inch pieces and serve with toasted shredded coconut (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment