Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Sesame Chicken

Sesame Chicken
It's always scary to try out new recipes. Scarier when I get them from Pinterest. It's probably because I'm always seeing articles like this one. Granted, some of these people may be messing up on purpose (cuz it's so funny), but still. It could happen!

The chicken definitely didn't turn out as dark as the pictures on Pinterest but meh. It still tasted good. I probably could've added more sugar but I cut some of it out. And I didn't add the sesame seeds (cuz I forgot) but I did add it later. Lol! And of course I didn't have any rice vinegar so I just substituted with red wine vinegar...maybe I should've used white instead. I was having just one of those days. Thank goodness everything turned out yummy. O.o

I'm going to have to do this recipe again one day with either rice vinegar or white (and take a better picture without the shadow of my hands and phone)...but below is what I did.


Sesame Chicken
(serves 3-4)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs, cubed
  • 1 egg
  • Salt & pepper, a pinch of each
  • 3 Tbsps cornstarch, divided
  • 2 Tbsps soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp water
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 inch knob ginger, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1 Tbsp canola oil

Directions:
  1. In a small/medium mixing bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, salt & pepper in with the egg until all the cornstarch has dissolved. Toss in chicken and mix until chicken is well coated.
  2. Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, water, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl until cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside. 
  3. In a large skillet, heat up canola oil on medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until chicken is brown and cooked through, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Pour soy sauce mixture over the chicken and toss until sauce thickens and coats all the chicken pieces. Turn off heat and stir in green onions.
  5. Transfer onto a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment