Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie

Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
OOOOH! Such a pretty picture! I can't believe I can actually take pretty pictures on my iPhone. I probably just got lucky. Hah!

I had previously made some roasted chicken and had leftovers. I had them for lunch and it was delicious! (I really can't get over how yummy that darn roasted chicken is). But anyway, we had some drippings but it was so good and with the bears all around lately, I didn't dare throw it out. Instead, I just put it in a little bowl and put it away in the fridge for the next day when I would defrost a couple of chicken breasts from the freezer and make chicken pot pie with soup. :D

I gotta warn you guys. Hubby and I LOVE love puff pastry, so I used a whole sheet for our four little pies. See how pretty the tops are? Please ignore the bottom cuz there was a little overflow in the oven. Whoops. At least I'm not stingy on filling? LOL!

This recipe is enough to feed 2 people if you're only having pie but with soup and/or salad, it'll feed 4. :)


Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
(serves 2 or 4 with sides)

Ingredients:
  • 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed (or equivalent in leftover chicken)
  • 3 small carrots, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
  • 3 Tbsps flour
  • 2 Tbsps butter
  • 1 tsp sage & bay salt
  • 1 cup leftover chicken drippings + chicken stock
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 sheet of packaged all butter puff pastry

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Brown chicken in butter.
  3. Add onions and carrots. Cook until onions have soften. 
  4. Sprinkle in the flour, whisking constantly.
  5. Gradually add in enough chicken stock and leftover chicken drippings to make 1 cup of liquids, whisking constantly. The gravy should be pretty thick but add more stock if you want it more liquidy.
  6. Season with sage & bay salt and black pepper. Turn off heat and add frozen peas. Mix well.
  7. Spoon pie filling into four 9 1/2oz ramekins, or a 1 1/4qt casserole dish. Set aside.
  8. Lay the puff pastry flat on a floured surface or on the parchment paper it comes with. Use a knife to cut into whatever shapes you want the puff pastry to puff up to - I cut it into 9 squares and then cut the 9th square into fours for my 4 ramekins. Dock with a fork and lay over top of the ramekins or casserole dish.
  9. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the pastry puffs up and is a nice golden brown colour.
  10. Serve by itself or with soup and/or salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment