Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Blueberry Pastry Cream Pie

Blueberry Pastry Cream PieSo I saw that episode of Masterchef where the pressure test was to make chocolate eclairs. It made m want to make them too! I was scared though, so I just made a pastry cream pie instead. :P

It was supposed to be a tart, but I don't have any tart shells. I have two 9 inch pie plates and 3 6 inch pie plates also. Making a bit 9 inch pie seems daunting so I just made two 6 inches ones instead. It seems smaller so it's less scary for Hubby to help me finish it. :D

It was my first time making pastry cream, so it was a little thick. But the taste was there and I'm so tempted to make it again right away. But I won't. Otherwise we'll be so sick of it that we won't be able to finish. Maybe in a month or so I'll make it again. :D


Blueberry Pastry Cream Pie
(makes 2 6" pies or 1 9" pie)

Ingredients:
  • 1 9" ready made tart/pie shell (I used this recipe to make 2 6" ones)
  • 1 2/3 cups whole milk
  • 3 tsps vanilla extract
  • 4 extra large egg yolks
  • 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsps flour
  • 3 Tbsps cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Directions:
  1. If your tart/pie shell needs to bake, do it now, per instructions and cool to room temperature.
  2. In a medium sauce pan or pot, heat milk until it starts to foam/bubble.
  3. In the meantime, whisk together eggs and sugar in a medium heatproof bowl. Sift the cornstarch and flour into the egg mixture. Mix until smooth.
  4. Slowly add hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking vigorously to avoid scrambling the eggs.
  5. Once all the milk has been mixed into the egg mixture, pour everything back into the pot. Heat on medium low heat, whisking frequently until just boiled. Turn off heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
  6. Pour into a clean bowl and immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming. Cool to room temperature.
  7. Once everything has been cooled to room temperature, spread the pastry cream into the tart/pie shells. If serving immediately, top with blueberries. If not, cover with plastic wrap and put into the fridge to chill. Top with blueberries just before ready to serve.

I only used 1/3 cup of sugar because the blueberries are sweet enough. But if you're using some other fruit, like strawberries, I'd add the full 1/2 cup of sugar and probably glaze the strawberries in a sugary glaze. Strawberries are always too tart for me so I always need something sweet with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment