Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Cream of Chicken Soup

Cream of Chicken Soup
I have not gotten a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket in a LONG time. The reason being that usually it's all dried out and we like our chicken just cooked. Well...there's nothing like doing what you told yourself never to do again to remind you of WHY you told yourself that in the first place, eh?

I couldn't help myself and just bought a rotisserie chicken the other day while grocery shopping after work. "It'll make for a quick dinner!" I told myself. Sure...........Hubby and I had half a breast and a drumstick between the both of us. Yes. It was that bad. So I had all this leftover chicken...What the hell do you do with leftover dry chicken?! Make a soup of course! It'll be liquidy enough to counter all that dry meat. Let's throw in the last of our frozen veggies too. Real fresh veggies would be way better but I wanted to finish up that frozen stuff so that's what I went with.

Best part: both Hubby and K liked it. K actually finished half my bowl. YAY!


Cream of Chicken Soup
(serves 4)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup frozen veggies
  • 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
  • Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. In a medium/large pot, melt butter on medium heat. Stir/whisk in flour. Stir until a thick paste forms. 
  2. Slowly whisk in milk so that no clumps form. Stir in chicken broth. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
  3. Add frozen veggies and shredded chicken. Stir and cook until everything is heated through, about 3-5 minutes. Season wish more salt and pepper, if necessary.
  4. Serve alone or with some crusty bread or a sandwich.

The longer you cook it, the thicker the soup is going to get, so don't cook too long. If you do, just add more chicken stock to thin it out. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment